GameSalad 2020 Video Game Creator Challenge
Rules and Guidelines
From December 1, 2020 through April 2, 2021 (the “Contest Period”), GameSalad, Inc. (the “Sponsor” will conduct the GameSalad 2020 Video Game Challenge (the “Challenge”). (Deadline changed from April 1, 2021 to April 2, 2021 on March 29, 2021).
The Game Creator Challenge aims to engage students in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (“STEAM”) skills by challenging them to create original video games (the “Project”).
This contest is open to all students who:
- Attend school in the United States, one of it’s territories or districts, or an American Armed Forces School Abroad,
- Are no younger than 10 years of age and no older than 19 years of age as of the end of the Contest Period (April 1, 2021).
- Are in grades 5 – 12 attending pubic, private, religious, or charter schools or are enrolled in a GED or correspondence school program, or are attending a home school program.
- Have their parent’s / legal guardian’s permission to participate in the Challenge.
Each entrant (each an “Applicant“, and in all instances Applicant shall include the parental/legal guardian) must submit the following (collectively, a “Submission”) before 1:00 PM Central Daylight Time on April 1st, 2021.
- A fully completed online Application Form.
- A URL / link to a game project in GameSalad Creator, GameSalad Arcade, or a web pages hosting an HTML5 exported GameSalad Game.
Applicants may make only one submission to the Challenge. Applicants who submit more than one submission will be subject to disqualification. Applicants may, in Sponsor’s discretion, be required to provide verification of age, and parental / legal guardian permission.
All Submissions must comply with the following content restrictions. Failure to meet any of these guidelines will subject Submission to disqualification.
- All Submissions must be in the English language. Game Projects may be submitted in a language other than English if the player is not meant to understand the language as part of the game play experience;
- The Submission must not invade the privacy of any person; including but not limited to including the image, name, or voice of a person without their permission;
- No copyrighted material (music, images, etc) or trademarks (company names, logos, brands, etc.) may be used unless the video game creator owns or has license to use the material for this contest. Written permission must be obtained and provided upon request for all copyrighted or trademarked materials;
- The Submission must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, torturous, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
- The Submission must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; and
- The Submission must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where the Submission is created.
- If Applicant is under the age of 13; the Submission must not contain any personally identifiable information, including but not limited to Applicant’s true name, address, birth date, social security number or other federal or state identification number, school name;
By entering, each Applicant represents and warrants that (a) the Applicant’s Submission and all components thereof, including all ideas, creative elements and any other materials and information contained in the Submission are wholly original with the Applicant, (b) no person or entity has collaborated with Applicant in creating the Submission, provided any material or information for inclusion in the Submission, or has any ownership rights in and to the Submission or any component thereof, (c) Applicant has the exclusive, unconditional right and authority to submit the Submission to Sponsors and to grant the rights set forth herein, and (d) the Applicant’s Submission complies with these Official Rules in full.
Submissions must not contain any material that Sponsors, in their sole discretion, deem inappropriate for public viewing and/or determine is contrary to their mission. Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify and/or not accept any Submission that Sponsors determine does not or is likely not to comply with these guidelines, to make such changes to any Submission as are necessary to make it compliant, or to require the Applicant to do so.
A panel of judges designated by the contest sponsors will review and score all submissions based on the following criteria:
- Functionality – is the game largely free of bugs
- Innovation / Creative Vision – uniqueness of the game concept
- Engaging game play – the extent to which games keep players fully engaged
- Well balanced game play – clarity of game play goals, balance of challenges and rewards, feedback to the player
Additional Criteria for Alternate Awards
Educational value (how well the game teaches one of the target learning objectives).
Learning Objectives from Common Core Standards:
- 3.OA.D.9: Use Arithmetic Patterns: http://www.corestandards.org/Math/Content/3/OA/#CCSS.Math.Content.3.OA.D.9
- 3.MD.C.5.a: Understand Area is Measured in Unit Squares: http://www.corestandards.org/Math/Content/3/MD/#CCSS.Math.Content.3.MD.C.5
- 3.MD.C.7.c: Using Tiling to Prove Area = LxW: http://www.corestandards.org/Math/Content/3/MD/#CCSS.Math.Content.3.MD.C.7
- 4.MD.C.5.a: Measure Angles in Reference to Circles: http://www.corestandards.org/Math/Content/4/MD/#CCSS.Math.Content.4.MD.C.5
- 5.OA.B.3: Terms and Rules in Numerical Patterns: http://www.corestandards.org/Math/Content/5/OA/#CCSS.Math.Content.5.OA.B.3
- 5.NF.B.5.a: Relative Size of a Product and its Factors: http://www.corestandards.org/Math/Content/5/NF/#CCSS.Math.Content.5.NF.B.5
The potential winners will be determined as indicated below:
Best Overall in Age Range: The eligible individual Application whose Submission receives the three (3) highest score from the Judges based on the Judging Criteria among all Submissions will be a potential winner, subject to verification.
Best Educational Game in Age Range: The eligible individual Application whose Submission receives the highest score from Judges based on the Judging Criteria, including the Educational value criteria, among all Submissions entered as “Educational” games will be a potential winner, subject to verification.
For the purposes of winner selection Grade Range will be as follows:
- Middle School: Ages 10 – 14
- High School: Ages 14 – 18
- Student aged 14 may choose which category they wish to enter.
In the event of a tie for awards, the tied Applicants will be chosen based on their Submission’s Innovation / Creative Vision scores.
The prizes awarded to each of the winners will consist of a one year GameSalad Pro subscription, the option to have GameSalad publish their game on to the iOS and Android app stores, in addition to the following prizes for winners of a given category:
Best Overall in Age Level Group: A laptop computer whose retail value is not more than $600.
Best Educational Game: A laptop or tablet computer whose retail value is not more than $300. Consideration for inclusion on the Legends of Learning arcade.
All income taxes and any other applicable taxes on each Challenge Prize are the sole responsibility of the recipient. An IRS form 1099 will be issued if required by law. Game Creator Challenge Prizes consist only of the items expressly specified herein. Any costs or expenses associated with the acceptance or use of any prize are the responsibility of the recipient. No substitutions, cash redemption or transfer of right to receive any Game Creator Challenge Prize will be allowed, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsors. Sponsors reserve the right to substitute an alternate Challenge Prize.
By entering, each Applicant grants to Sponsors and their designees the irrevocable, royalty-free right to publish, disseminate and use the Applicant’s name, likeness and biographical information without further notice or consideration, in perpetuity, throughout the world, in all media and formats now known or hereafter invented, in connection with the execution and promotion of the Game Creator Challenge and the promotion of Sponsors and their activities. In addition, by entering, each Applicant grants to Sponsors and their designees a nonexclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce, exploit, adapt, use and display worldwide, in perpetuity, throughout the world, in all media and formats now known or hereafter invented, the Submission and all components thereof in connection with the execution and promotion of the Game Creator Challenge and the promotion of Sponsors and their activities, without further notice or compensation.
These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and interpreted under the laws of the State of Texas without regard to conflicts of laws provisions. Applicant hereby agrees that any and all disputes claims, causes of action or controversies arising out of or in connection with the Game Creator Challenge or these Terms and Conditions shall be resolved individually, and without resort to class action, exclusively by a state or federal court located in Austin, Texas. By entering, each Applicant irrevocably waives any right to seek and/or obtain rescission and/or equitable and/or injunctive relief.