The 2022 GameSalad Video Game
2021 Middle School Division Winner: Not-So-Heroic (click the image to play)
The contents is divided into two divisions:
Middle School: Ages 10 – 14
High School: Ages 14 – 18
Students aged 14 can choose which division their game will be competing in.
Games can be entered into the following categories:
Best Overall Game – Individual (Prize: $400, 1 Year of GameSalad Pro)
Games created by any individual student.
Best Overall Game – Team (Prize: $800, 1 Year of GameSalad Pro)
New to 2022, games created by any team of students of two or more. Prize will be split evenly among team members.
Best Game based on the theme “My Story” (Prize: $200 individual, $400 team, 1 Year of GameSalad Pro).
As part of our CSforAll Pledge, GameSalad is creating a special themed prize this year that helps students join their technical skills with art that expressions something about themselves.
Games in this category will be built around the creator’s lived personal experiences. These can be games that express something about their:
- Cultural affiliation
- Personal experiences
The context is left intentionally vague to give the creator free space to find creative ways to build interactive experience that share something unique about the creator! Submissions for consideration in this category will need to include a short paragraph long essay about the game, it’s themes, and how it connects to the creator2
2021 High School Division Winner: Button Shooter (click the image to play)
A panel of judges designated by the contest sponsors will review and score all submissions based on the following criteria:
- Functionality – is the game largely free of bugs
- Expression of Theme – if entered into the “My Story” special category, the game will be judged on both how it subjectively exemplifies the theme as well as how well it expresses the connection to the student as stated in the accompanying student essay.
- Innovation / Creative Vision – uniqueness of the game concept
- Engaging game play – the extent to which games keep players fully engaged
- Well balanced game play – clarity of game play goals, balance of challenges and rewards, feedback to the player
This contest is open to all students who:
- Attend school in the United States, one of it’s territories or districts, or an American Armed Forces School Abroad,
- Are no younger than 10 years of age and no older than 19 years of age as of the end of the Contest Period (April 15, 2022).
- Are in grades 5 – 12 attending pubic, private, religious, or charter schools or are enrolled in a GED or correspondence school program, or are attending a home school program.
- Have their parent’s / legal guardian’s permission to participate in the Challenge
Full rules and guidelines available at https://gamesalad.com/education/game-creator-challenge-2022/rules/