The GameSalad 2024 Video Game Creation Challenge Rules & Guidelines
From November 15, 2023 through April 7, 2024 (the “Contest Period”), GameSalad, Inc. (the “Sponsor” will conduct the 2024 GameSalad Video Game Creation Challenge (the “Challenge”).
The Game Creation Challenge aims to engage students in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (“STEAM”) skills by challenging them to create original video games (the “Project”).
This contest is open to all students who:
- Attend school in the United States, one of it’s territories or districts, or an American Armed Forces School Abroad,
- Are no younger than 10 years of age and no older than 19 years of age as of the end of the Contest Period (April 7, 2024).
- Are in grades 5 – 12 attending pubic, private, religious, or charter schools or are enrolled in a GED or correspondence school program, or are attending a home school program.
- Have their parent’s / legal guardian’s permission to participate in the Challenge.
Each entrant (each an “Applicant“, and in all instances Applicant shall include the parental/legal guardian) must submit the following (collectively, a “Submission”) before 1:00 PM Central Daylight Time on April 7, 2024.
- A fully completed online Application Form.
Applicants may make only one submission to the Challenge. Applicants who submit more than one submission will be subject to disqualification.
Applicants may, in Sponsor’s discretion, be required to provide verification of age, and parental / legal guardian permission.
All Submissions must comply with the following content restrictions. Failure to meet any of these guidelines will subject Submission to disqualification.
- All Submissions must be in the English language. Game Projects may be submitted in a language other than English if the player is not meant to understand the language as part of the game play experience or english subtitles are provided;
- The Submission must not invade the privacy of any person; including but not limited to including the image, name, or voice of a person without their permission;
- No copyrighted material (music, images, etc) or trademarks (company names, logos, brands, etc.) may be used unless the video game creator owns or has license to use the material for this contest. Written permission must be obtained and provided upon request for all copyrighted or trademarked materials;
- The Submission must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, torturous, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
- The Submission must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; and
- The Submission must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where the Submission is created.
- If Applicant is under the age of 13; the Submission must not contain any personally identifiable information, including but not limited to Applicant’s true name, address, birth date, social security number or other federal or state identification number, school name;
By entering, each Applicant represents and warrants that (a) the Applicant’s Submission and all components thereof, including all ideas, creative elements and any other materials and information contained in the Submission are wholly original with the Applicant, (b) no person or entity has collaborated with Applicant in creating the Submission, provided any material or information for inclusion in the Submission, or has any ownership rights in and to the Submission or any component thereof, (c) Applicant has the exclusive, unconditional right and authority to submit the Submission to Sponsors and to grant the rights set forth herein, and (d) the Applicant’s Submission complies with these Official Rules in full.
Submissions must not contain any material that Sponsors, in their sole discretion, deem inappropriate for public viewing and/or determine is contrary to their mission. Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify and/or not accept any Submission that Sponsors determine does not or is likely not to comply with these guidelines, to make such changes to any Submission as are necessary to make it compliant, or to require the Applicant to do so.
A panel of judges designated by the contest sponsors will review and score all submissions based on the following criteria:
- Functionality – is the game largely free of bugs
- Expression of Theme – if entered into the “My Story” special category, the game will be judged on both how it subjectively exemplifies the theme as well as how well it expresses the connection to the student as stated in the accompanying student essay.
- Innovation / Creative Vision – uniqueness of the game concept
- Engaging game play – the extent to which games keep players fully engaged
- Well balanced game play – clarity of game play goals, balance of challenges and rewards, feedback to the player
The potential winners will be determined as indicated below:
Best Overall in Age Range by an Individual: The eligible individual Application whose Submission receives the three (3) highest score from the Judges based on the Judging Criteria among all Submissions will be a potential winner, subject to verification.
Best Overall in Age Range by a Team: The eligible team Application whose Submission receives the three (3) highest score from the Judges based on the Judging Criteria among all Submissions will be a potential winner, subject to verification.
For the purposes of winner selection Grade Range will be as follows:
- Middle School: Ages 10 – 14
- High School: Ages 14 – 18
- Students aged 14 may choose which category they wish to enter.
In the event of a tie for awards, the tied Applicants will be chosen based on their Submission’s Innovation / Creative Vision scores for Best Overall categories.
The prizes awarded to each of the winners will consist of a one year GameSalad Pro subscription, the option to have GameSalad publish their game on to the iOS and Android app stores, in addition to the following prizes for winners of a given category:
Best Overall in Age Level Group by an Individual: $400
Best Overall in Age Level Group by a Team: $800, payment to be to be evenly divided between team members before awarding.
All income taxes and any other applicable taxes on each Challenge Prize are the sole responsibility of the recipient. An IRS form 1099 will be issued if required by law. Game Creation Challenge Prizes consist only of the items expressly specified herein. Any costs or expenses associated with the acceptance or use of any prize are the responsibility of the recipient. No substitutions, cash redemption or transfer of right to receive any Game Creation Challenge Prize will be allowed, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsors. Sponsors reserve the right to substitute an alternate Challenge Prize.
By entering, each Applicant grants to Sponsors and their designees the irrevocable, royalty-free right to publish, disseminate and use the Applicant’s name, likeness and biographical information without further notice or consideration, in perpetuity, throughout the world, in all media and formats now known or hereafter invented, in connection with the execution and promotion of the Game Creation Challenge and the promotion of Sponsors and their activities. In addition, by entering, each Applicant grants to Sponsors and their designees a nonexclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce, exploit, adapt, use and display worldwide, in perpetuity, throughout the world, in all media and formats now known or hereafter invented, the Submission and all components thereof in connection with the execution and promotion of the Game Creator Challenge and the promotion of Sponsors and their activities, without further notice or compensation.
These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and interpreted under the laws of the State of Texas without regard to conflicts of laws provisions. Applicant hereby agrees that any and all disputes claims, causes of action or controversies arising out of or in connection with the Game Creation Challenge or these Terms and Conditions shall be resolved individually, and without resort to class action, exclusively by a state or federal court located in Austin, Texas. By entering, each Applicant irrevocably waives any right to seek and/or obtain rescission and/or equitable and/or injunctive relief.
If you have questions, contact GameSalad at email@example.com