Congratulations to SZC: Beyond Dead, the GameSalad Game of the Month February!
Developed by Ash Jackson (asthmj), Beyond Dead is exciting Metroid inspired platformer with fantastic original art.
Drawing thematic inspiration from titles such as Dead Space and Resident Evil, characters Tank and Vera, a team of mercenaries, explore an astroid facility in space and battle zombies and aliens. This game is a fun romp through stark space facilities that will delight fans of classic SNES titles.
Before discovering GameSalad, Jackson's background was rooted in art, primarily drawing caricatures and comic book art. He was the artist for comics such as Eve: Vampire Diva by Arcana Comic, Beautiful Creatures by RED 5, and Kenneth the Conjuror by Sunset Graphic. Currently he also does work for the online (soon to be print) comic, Afterlife Inc.
Jackson's inspirations for SZC: Beyond Dead are easy to see. Speaking on his interest in game design and early influences he shares, "I've always been a huge fan of classic games like Super Mario, Zelda and Metroid since I was young. As a five year old, I was drawing ideas for games in my sketch pads, so the interest has been there as far back as I can remember. Only now, thanks to Gamesalad, people can really play them, instead of just looking at drawings and listening to a rambling kid explain how great they are."
Before discovering GameSalad, Jackson had a very limited amount of prior coding experience. Now, when he is not drawing caricatures and comics, he is making apps in his free time. He has made three games to date. Most notably, Bridge the Gap for the iPad which received roughly 20,000 downloads during its first three days of release.
SZC:Beyond Dead Trailer
Now featuring new game play controls:
SZC: Beyond Dead game features:
- Totally customizable control systems, use intuitive touch screens to walk, jump and shoot, switch to classic old school buttons, or use some of each
- Awesome auto save, play for 5 minutes or 45 mins, you start right where you left off no matter what
- Tons of cool weapons, collect energy cells to buy new weapons and items and upgrade the ones you already have
- 12 in-game achievements to test your skill
- Awesome boss battles and puzzles
- iPhone 4, 4G iPod touch, and iPad 1/2
- Requires iOS 4.0 or later
- 17.9 MB
Pricing and Availability: BeyondDead 1.0.1 is only $0.99 USD (or equivalent amount in other currencies) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Games category.